VIDEO- Must watch
The 10 Historical blunders by Pakistan
1. Alliance with US
In early 1954,Pakistan decided to side with US in the cold war and signed several defence pacts later with US,willing to be an American ally in the cold war.
1. Dependence on US for military,industrial and economical development.
2. Military got unnecessary importance in Pakistani society.
3. The decision was undemocratic in nature,paving way for further undemocratic decisions.
2. The Law of Necessity
In 1954,the constituent assembly was dissolved by the Governor General.Its head appealed in Sindh High-court,which favored him and restored the Constituent Assembly.On this,the Governor General appealed in Federal Court,whose head Justice Munir Ahmed decided in GG's favor and justified the act of GG by introducing the "Law of Necessity".
This law justified all military take overs in Pakistani history,in fact,laying out an easy path for them.
3. Declaring East Pakistan as one unit:
In 1955,the PM Mohammad Ali Bogra made two units of whole Pakistan,east and west.It was further strengthened by Gen Ayub Khan.
Because of this decision,the people of other communities came under rule of the center,in most cases,Punjabis.It sew the first seeds of separation in East Pakistan and Baluchistan.This centralizing tendencies have since then supported Provincialism and Parochialism.
4. Not accepting the mandate of East Pakistanis and Military action in East PakistanAs a result of 1970 elections,held by Gen Yahya Khan,Mujib-ur-Rehman gained majority in East Pakistan.The civil-military bureaucracy including Gen Yahya and Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto,refuse to accept this and tried to suppress him and the demand of East Pakistanis by military action.
This decision paved way for the separation of East Pakistan.
5. The judicial murder of Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto
The Supreme court of Pakistan,with the assistance of Gen Zia-ul-Haq and local politicians,announced death penalty for Bhutto i the hearing for a murder case.
1. The "martyrdom politics" started in Pakistan.Pakistan Peoples Party started gaining the support of people not because of their works,but because their leaders (Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto and Benazir Bhutto) were assassinated.
2. The "political Dynasties" rose in Pakistan.We can see the politics of Bhutto family,Sharif family,Chaudhary family,Maulana family,Khan family etc.In short,politics became politics for certain families.
6. The starting of civil war in Afghanistan
When Soviet Union intervened in Afghanistan,the Americans urged Pakistan to start an organized civil war aka Jihad.In return,we received Military and Financial aid.
1. The democracy did not prevail,Gen Zia retained power, with US help,for 9 years despite that he had announced elections in 90 days.
2. The financial aid only went to the ruling class,thus depriving the common people.
3. In order to cover up his undemocratic act and decision,Zia introduced false Islamization in Pakistan.Kalashnikov culture,Drug culture and Sectarianism are the direct consequences which we are facing today.
7. The Kargil Misadventure
The Kargil assault was a military blunder,whose example we cannot find in the last 10-15 yrs.
1. This event created vast differences b/w civil politicians (Sharif) and Army (Musharraf).
2.It resulted into the fourth Martial Law by Gen MUsharraf,but it was inevitable.
3. It hampered the peace talks with India.
4. Once gain,US was referred for support and dependence.
8. Decisions taken post-9/11 incidents
1. The US threat "are you with us or against us?" was heavily misinterpreted by the leadership.The leadership decided to favor US but for their (Pakistan's) gain,not for solving problem of US.Behind the curtains,the leadership decided not give US any efficient favor and solution,rather to involve them in this mess,as they did with USSR.
2. The military decided not to pressurize Mullah Omar to hand over Osama Bin Laden,rather told him to keep OBL.
1. US intervened militarily.
2. An alliance was made with US against Taliban and Al Qaeda.
3. This War on Terror resulted in death of 35,000 Pakistani civilians,4,000 military personnel,a setback of $65 Billion to Pakistani economy and $10 Billion to Pakistan Military.
9. The dismissal of Chief Justice by Gen Musharraf
The suppression of the effort to recover an Independent Judiciary was another blunder.
1.This decision resulted into destabilization of the country for 3 years.
2. Peace talks with India derailed.
3. Solution of Kashmir Issue was delayed way beyond.
4. After the departure of Musharraf,NRO was introduced which,in turn,introduced corrupt politics.
10. Asif Ali Zardari's decision to become President
1. The re-appointment of Chief Justice was delayed too much.
2. The alliance with Nawaz Sharif was brken,which could lead the country out of the crisis.
3. The "political orphans" gained importance.
4. Dependent and suppressible Election Commission and NAB were formed.
5. NRO was effectively implemented,bringing out corrupt politicians.
6. Destabilization is again being sensed
Great insight into the "Land of the Pure"(The Pakiland).